On 8th April 2011,IGMC initiative was officially launched by GFHS at the UN headquarters
As an innovative green low-carbon urban development action plan, the IGMC stimulates forward-looking and responsible governments, businesses and social forces to work together on exploring sustainable urban development alternatives and urbanization models. The IGMC Initiative has been registered with the United Nations as a voluntary commitment of Rio+20 and 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development as well as a conscious action to implement the Sustainable Development Goals, Paris Climate Agreement and New Urban Agenda at the regional and local levels.
In the new global context and evolving regional and local needs, the development of sustainable cities is facing severe challenges while offering many opportunities. IGMC Initiative aims to use IGMC Standards as one of a variety of advanced planning tools by providing innovative concepts, integrated strategies and methodologies, benchmarks and monitoring framework as well as demand-oriented solutions for assessing and guiding sustainable urban development, including to develop IGMC pilots, to readdress the way we plan, develop, finance, govern and manage cities and human settlements and lead onto the path of necessary transformative change towards delivering sustainable development, and to create a shared platform for dialogue and cooperation among the global stakeholders for the sake of establishing a new partnerships in support to the implementation of 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and New Urban Agenda at the regional and local levels, to achieve safe, inclusive, prosperous sustainable cities and human settlements for all.
2016 IGMC 3.0 Standards Releasing Ceremony
Benefits of Joining the IGMC Initiative
- AThrough the IGMC Standard, to develop action plans and policy options with measurable goals.
- BTo use the IGMC Standard for assessment and diagnosis of existing urban areas,enabling city administrators to manage their cities, people and resources more efficiently.
- CTo use the IGMC Standard for assessment and diagnosis of projects at the planning or designing stage, and identify challenges, gaps and opportunities so as to reduce risks and to facilitate the effective investment.
- DTo access IGMC data system, learning from each other and comparing with counterpart.
- ETo strengthen capacity building through various trainings, workshops and activities, obtaining professional technical information and knowledge.
- FTo obtain demand-oriented solutions and interactive consultation services to address existing challenges and gaps in certain cities and projects.
- GTo conduct IGMC pilots as appropriate to demonstrate the green transformation.
- HTo build up new type partnerships.
- ITo enhance the brand value and maximize business opportunities.